This is an online tool for calculating the stair parameters based on the height and run.
For the safety reasons and for the comfort of usage, stair measurements are recommended to follow some guidelines:
- The run length should be 9 inches (23 cm) or longer for enough foot space.
- The riser height should be 8.25 inches (21cm) or lower.
- The nosing protrusion length should be 1.25 inches (3.2 cm) or lower to prevent tripping on the nosing.
- The headroom is recommended to be 6 feet and 8 inches (203 cm) or higher.
- The stair width is recommended to be 35 inches (89cm) or longer.
- The height of the handrail, measured from the nose of the tread, is recommended to be between 34 and 38 inches (86 to 97 cm).
- The comfortable size of handrail diameter is between 1.25 and 2.68 inches (3.2 to 6.8 cm).
- Doors are normally not allowed to swing over steps. The arc of doors should be on the landing or floor completely.
Fraction to Decimal Conversion